Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Company That Gets It

We live in age that is so reachable. Cell phone, email, text yet why is it nearly impossible to speak to someone live. Companies spend a fortune on advertising to acquire customers only to have their customer service departments do their best to lose them. Businesses that rely on customer service should address how well they do in this department. Are you listening to the calls that are recorded for educational purposes?

Same routine. Press 1 for english, 2 for french and 3 so we can put you on hold, play Michael Bolton songs for you (not that there is anything wrong with Michael Bolton) and decide when its your turn.

I am on hold with my cell phone provider listening to Time Love and Tenderness. I was calling because my bill which usually runs about $55 a month was at $134. After more of the greatest hits of Michael, I finally reached a rep. The rep tells me that because Telus and MTS Mobility weren't playing nice in the sandbox this was causing Telus subscribers to be charged for airtime that was supposed to be free.

The rep then told me there was nothing he could do about the extra charges. I tried to explain that it wasn't my problem about the catfight that I was holding up my end of the contract and I expected them to do the same. I asked to escalate the call further up the food chain and you guessed it more Michael Bolton now singing Christmas music.

Now one would think waiting on hold while being connected to the boss, that the rep would have given the boss an idea of my problem. I guess that would be to easy so having to explain my situation again and wait for the boss to read my file, the boss put me on hold.

"Frosty the snowman". Yes I am a little frosted and about to eat my telephone but it is the Christmas season so I keep it together. A simple bill adjustment took 35 minutes to resolve.

There are all sorts of stats about an unhappy client telling 6 or 7 people about their experience and so as I sit to write about it on my blog, my Shaw internet goes down. Please no more Michael Bolton songs as I call Shaw.

"Press 1 for residential, 2 for business" ....but wait its not Michael Bolton! "If you would like for us to call you back, please leave your 10 digit phone number. You will not lose your place in line and we will call you back when a customer service rep becomes available."

Now that is music to my ears.


No comments: